This wonder of the world, considered an example of love, is the pride of India. This wonderful monument was built in white marble by Shah Jahan in memory of his begum Mumtaz. Every person in the world wants to see the Taj Mahal because it is called the temple of love. Taj Mahal is located on the banks of river Yamuna, this building is a memorable sight.
History Of Taj Mahal
Taj Mahal was built by the Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan (reign 1628 to 1658) in memory of his wife Mumtaz Mahal, the construction of the Taj Mahal began in 1632.
In 1631, the empire of Shah Jahan waved his triumph of victory everywhere. At that time, Shah Jahan had his most beloved Begum Mumtaz Mahal among all the Begums (wives). The Persian Begum Mumtaz Mahal died while giving birth to their fourteenth child, their fourteenth child name was Gauhar Begum.
Shah Jahan wanted the world to always remember Mumtaz and his love story, so he wanted to create some historical heritage in his memory. In which the Taj Mahal was built.
Taj Mahal is a world heritage mausoleum situated on the banks of river Yamuna in Agra city, India. The Taj Mahal also includes the mausoleum and the guest house, along with gardens on both sides.
The construction of the Taj Mahal was finished around 1643. At that time, it costs about 32 million rupees to build it. The Taj Mahal was built by 22000+ artisans according to the information. Ustad Ahmad Lahori is often considered its principal designator.
Taj Mahal Is A UNESCO World Heritage Site
In 1983, the Taj Mahal became a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It has been described as one of the best human works of worldwide heritage. Taj Mahal was also declared the jewel of the Islamic art of India.
Rabindranath Tagore in his article, “A Teardrop On The Cheek Of Time The Story Of The Taj Mahal”, described a lot of Mughal architecture at that time, and put the great works of Indian history in front of the world.
Every year around 9 to 10 million people visit the Taj Mahal. In 2007, the Taj Mahal was also included in the list of 7 wonders of the world.
14 Amazing Facts About Taj Mahal
- Taj Mahal is a World Heritage Tomb located in the city of Agra, India. According to history, it was built by the Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan, in memory of his wife Mumtaz Mahal.
- The Taj Mahal took 22 years to build. The work of making this started in 1632 and ended in 1653.
- It is said that about 22000 labourers were involved in building the Taj Mahal. It is also said that Shah Jahan had done the amputation, or killed, of the artisans who built the Taj Mahal. But complete evidence is not available.
- Taj Mahal was built on a small land plateau at the south end of Agra city. According to historians, Shah Jahan gave Maharaja Jai Singh of Jaipur a large palace in the middle of Agra city in exchange for this place.
- There are also variations in the estimated cost of construction of the Taj Mahal, yet the total value is estimated at around Rs. 3 billion 20 crores, which may be more than trillion rupees at present.
- Taj Mahal is an excellent specimen of Mughal architecture. Its architectural style is a unique blend of components of Indian, Persian, Ottoman and Islamic architecture.
- TajMahal was constructed from material brought from all over India and Asia. Altogether twenty-eight types of precious stones and gems were studded in white marble.
- The center of the Taj Mahal is the white marble tower on a square foundation base which has a huge curved door. A large dome is adorned above this building. Four huge towers are located at the four corners of the main base.
- The image of the Taj Mahal is visible in a pond built on a high level in the middle of the garden. It is built between the mausoleum and the main gateway.
- During the Indian War of Independence of 1857, the Taj Mahal suffered a lot of adversity by British soldiers and government officials. They dug up precious stones and gems from the walls.
- Around the year 1908, gardens were converted to the British style. The same style is still seen today.
- Many buildings and monuments of the world are inspired by the Taj Mahal. The Taj Mahal has a replica at the Window of the World theme park located in the western part of the city of Shenzhen, China.
- In 1983, the Taj Mahal has declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- The Taj Mahal attracts 2 to 4 million visitors each year, of which over 2,00,000 are foreigners.